Work and Babies. Both seem to me like an endless dangling carrot. My project at work is behind schedule and it seems that every time a problem has been solved, another one pops up. Such is the life of an engineer. Each problem can be an exciting challenge to figure out and solve. I really enjoy that very thing. However, it has started to feel like I'm fighting a battle that can't be won no matter how hard I try or how good my methods are.
Ditto that for babies.
Whether it is a new Thermal Block or a new baby, I can't keep myself from having so much hope, even though my brain tells me that this will just be another let down. With work and babies, my brain has been right so much lately that it just seems like the end will never come (yeah, yeah, enjoy the journey...whatever. I do that too :o) ).
SO, the point I'm trying to make as I take a break from boxing up all of Carrie's things, is that one thing that makes this feel real to me, is Carrie leaving her job. Today is her last day.
Let me take this moment to let you all know what an incredible teacher she is. I'm sure lots of husbands think that about their teacher wives, but I have reason to believe Carrie is truly exceptional. I've witnessed it in action many times, and just stood in awe. She is extremely intelligent. She is very creative and innovative in finding ways to help kids learn in their own style. Watching her makes me fiercely protective whenever I hear people badmouthing public schools. Her's is a very challenging school with a high rate of turnover and a lot of parents who don't know how to properly be involved in the lives of their kids. It isn't easy, but she makes a difference for these kids, and she's stayed at this school for 10 years when most teachers go to some other school the first chance they get. She's calm and stable and confident and loving. I think there are only a couple teachers who have been here longer, and I know I never had a teacher with such a great collection of qualities for teaching (except her of course :o) ). They will definitely miss her, but we'll miss them too. They've made good friends. They've made her a stronger person, and she'll be a better Mom because of this school. I'm forever grateful. (Like I just told Carrie, "Real Men don't use tissues when they cry!")
I'm distractable, but I'm cool with that.
So anyway, I'm pretty full of emotion right now because of how I already miss Carrie's school, combined with how happy I am she's moving on, combined with how real it feels that a new journey is right around the corner. And I'm excited for it :o)
It's been a LONG while
3 years ago
5 comments:
I always wished that Carrie would teach at the school that my kids would someday go to. But now there is no chance, since she is leaving teaching (for now and she will just be teaching in a different way.) The kids that had her as a teacher were sooooo lucky, but even more lucky are the children who will have her as a mom.
One of the most overwhelming things as a mom for me, at least right now is keeping a child stimulated and entertained throughout the day. Carrie already has this figured out, she will be wonderful.
Best of luck to all of you. And I hope you will quickly adjust to all the changes. Even though this is something you've wanted for a long time and it's a good change, it doesn't make it any less hard.
Congratulations Carrie on leaving a legacy with each little soul you've touched! Congratulations Zack & Carrie for reaching this milestone in your lives and for preparing more than probably most any other potential couple of parents on the planet for this new adventure! I can't wait to continue this journey with you! LOVE YOU GUYS!
I have always thought that if I could pick ANY teacher, anywhere, for my kids to have in school, it would be Carrie (sorry Mom!) And I know Carrie loves it. But how great is it to know that she's leaving this love for a greater one! We're so excited for you here!
Teaching little kids is definitely the hardest job. College professors, high school, even Jr. high - they can use fear (sometimes that's all they use) and logic. i.e. do this, or ELSE.... you'll get a bad grade and have to pay tuition again. 1st grade? They don't care about all that. They just want recess and more glue to eat. I can picture myself as a 1st grade teacher, and it goes something like this... "hey... you! don't.... what are you doi.....hey! drop tha...wha?! Listen to m.m.m. hey, you, stop doing that..." It's not a pretty thought. It's just not pretty. You rock, Carrie (and Zack). I'm excited for you to put your teaching skills to use on your own little guys.
Ooo, My day for packing up my things and finishing up is in...in 2045 or so! Or maybe it will happen in a month when they lay me off. Ugh! Congrats for a great 10 years! And good luck with the next 10!
Post a Comment