Before I get into this next post on what is currently our adoption adventure, I'd like to say thanks to all of you who support us by reading our blog (and writing comments!) and following along with us on our adoption journey. It's nice to know we have cheerleaders cheering us on from the sidelines. So, thanks!
Two Thursdays ago I attended an Adoption Alternatives class that LDS Family Services puts on about once a month. Each month they focus on something different. This month it was on International Adoption. The class we last attended was on Foster Parenting. We haven't attended one since, but when we got the email for the one in May we both felt like we should go. Zack was going to be flying home from Maryland about the same time the class was going to start so we decided he would have his co-worker drive him home and I would attend the class.
The class was taught by a lady named Kelly who has adopted 6 children internationally. She had a lot of good information on a topic that we had initially thought was out of our reach. I haven't given international adoption much thought because I assumed the paperwork was horrific and the costs were huge. Kelly made it actually seem reasonable.
Not only did she make us aware of international adoption itself, but she also enlightened us on another aspect of international adoption that we hadn't considered: Special needs international adoption.
Special Needs basically means a child who is hard to place, whether it be because of race, age, mental or physical handicaps. A lot of kids are considered "special needs" merely because they are over the age of 3 or who are born with a physical ailment like a cleft palate or cleft lip.
Kelly showed us how we could adopt a special needs child and receive grants to help cover some of the costs.
So, we've been spending a lot of our time researching agencies and learning more about this process. International adoption is now in our range of possibilities.
Holt International, WACAP and Adoption Advocates are the agencies she highly recommends if you want to consider an international adoption or a special needs international adoption.
It's been a LONG while
3 years ago
3 comments:
...and the plot thickens!
Sounds exciting! I hope you always keep this blog online - I think all the resources you list here are so wonderful. I have friends who may at some point really benefit from it - so please keep it up and going even after your waiting ends. THANKS and Good Luck!
hello...I believe we went attended the same HS..anyways I found your blog through cyrstal b. and just wanted to let you know that's awesome you are open to getting an older child or any other special needs. I was offically adopted when I was 6 from Bolivia and we have a 6 yr old who joined 2 years ago(from the states). Good luck!
Post a Comment