It's fun to hear all your comments about which countries to adopt from. Keeeep 'em comin'.
Since I'm currently filling my brain with all sorts of information about adoption from different countries, I've decided to spill my brain into this blog for everyone to read! I'm going to focus on children's ages and the wait-time for children because those issues are big deals for us. Since we have no parenting experience we are kind of terrified to adopt a child older than, say, 2 years old. And even 2 years old is kind of pushing it. Also, we don't want to wait for 5 years to adopt a child. We need to get this family started, right? We need to get this family started quickly, right?!
Let's go in alphabetical order, shall we?
China
From what we've learned, there are a lot of girls that need adopting in China. Many of the boys that need adopting have special needs. They range in age from 6 months to 14 years. That said, the wait time for an adoption in China is 3 to 5 years. Um. That's a really really long time.
Ethiopia
The ages of children who need adopting from Ethiopia range from 4 months to 15 years. It takes about 1-10 months to be matched with an infant or child. It takes 10-24 months if you want to be matched with siblings ages 0-6 years old. You wait 2-3 months from being matched to traveling. There are a lot of children, young and older, who need adopting. Travel takes about 7 days.
Guatemala
This country seems harder to adopt from than others. Some agencies aren't allowing applicants for it anymore. So we don't have a lot of info on it, which is too bad, because we are totally not scared of traveling to Guatemala!
Korea
Korea has mostly infants, 6 months and older who need adopting. You can only request a girl if your family has only sons. It takes 14-17 months to be matched with a child, but longer if you are requesting a girl. It takes 3-6 months from being matched to be able to travel and pick up your child. Travel takes about 3 days or you could have your child escorted to the US.
Peru
This country would be totally awesome because we already have connections there! However, from what we could find, you can only adopt kids ages 4 and up. And you have to stay in the country for about 30 days when you pick them up. Thaaat's a long time.
Russia
Russia has children ages 10 months to 15 years who need adopting. They have a policy where the kids have to be older than 9 months before they can be considered for international adoption. It takes 1-10 months to be matched with a child, and up to 14 months if you request a girl. (Again with the girls!) You have to make 2 trips to Russia. The first one is about 1 week where you can meet your child. The second trip is about 3 weeks long.
*I was told by one agency that there is a lot of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in Russia, but Russia doesn't really accept that as a disease so they don't mention it in medical information. So it's good to be aware of that possibility.*
Thailand
Thailand has children ages 15 months t0 15 years who need adopting. It takes 12-36 months to be matched with a young, healthy child. Then it takes 2-6 months from matched to travel. Travel is about 10-12 days.
Ukraine
Ukraine is very similar to Russia in it's ages of the children, gender, and travel time.
We didn't even mention Kazakhstan because you are required to make one long trip (12-16 weeks) or two or three shorter trips to adopt. You don't have to ask my dad to know that traveling to Kazakhstan takes a looong time and is super expensive.
So, is your head spinning now, too? Join the club.
We have our eye on a country or two. Can you guess which ones? (*Hint: We only like countries with cute kids.)
It's been a LONG while
3 years ago
10 comments:
I stumbled across your blog and wanted to wish you good luck on the journey you are considering. My husband & I adopted our son from Russia last year. Here is a website that will give you some more information on different countries...
http://adoption.state.gov/
Good luck!!!
Knowing all this I think Korea would be my first pick and I would opt for a boy.
If I already had a few kids or kid I would then think about Ethiopia and doing a sibling pair or trio.
If most of my kids were grown up I would do China and opt for a special needs boy. Or a special needs from anywhere because I reckon the would get more attention being the youngest.
Thanks for posting this! Really answers alot of questions i had.
KOREA! That's my guess. And if I am right, you should meet Misun (my sister-in-law) and her niece from Korea when they are here in July. I really hope it is Korea...
I love the Koreans!
I'm biased of course but you should included Kazakhstan on your list. While the travel may seem daunting it is one of the the most amazing parts of the journey. To be able to spend that amount of time in your child's country of birth and to be able to share those memories with your child is a rare and wonderful opportunity. We chose to make one trip when we adotped our two beautiful children and we had an unbelievable experience. So much so that we're in the process of adopting another child from Kaz.
Best wishes whatever path you choose.
I knew someone a few years ago who adopted a little girl from Kazakhstan, and it doesn't seem like her stay was quite that long. She blogged the whole time they were there picking up the girl - I think she was about 9-10 months - but stopped writing after they got home. I'll have to see if I can find the address.
Anyway, yeah, I'd be willing to bet that Korea is one place you have your eyes on. The sooner the better, right? :)
I'm a stalker still coming from crystal's site....maybe I can add you to my readinglist? Let me if it's okay.
Back to the question I would go with the easiest paperwork, medical exams and one that would allow me to visit or see the parents/family they were with before coming to the orphange and the agency with the least negative issues.
6ninjas you are welcome to add me to your readinglist. But we don't promise to be entertaining!
Thanks for all the comments, guys. We are slowly but steadily making our choice. What will the face of the newest Evans look like? Stay tuned...
WOW! So much to consider. I have faith that the Lord will guide you as you listen to your own needs and desires and seek His help. Sounds like Korea and Ethiopia are the shorter waits and travel. If ever you wanted to talk to my husband's aunt about her tips on adoption, or just hear about their experiences - send me a line. She has adopted 5 children in addition to the 5 she already had and she was actually very aggressive and helped bend some of their rules. I think all of the children were from Russia or the Ukraine. They are THRIVING and beautiful. One is now a return missionary, one is on his mission, and the other kids are still growing up at home. I have two cousins who were adopted from Korea at the same time. As you already know, no matter where you choose to go, you'll find 'cute kids'! God Be With You through this journey. Thanks for letting us walk with you along the way.
I would keep KZ on the list too! My wife and I adopted from KZ last year and it was a great experience from beginning to end. It did take a long time, and required a significant financial commitment, but the Kazakh people were wonderful, the time bonding with the children was incredibly valuable, and the whole adventure is unforgettable.
Hi there! Will you email me about your choices of agencies (we are currently with LDSFS) and the cost of adopting internationally? I am seriously interested in this and would LOVE to know what we could possibly be looking at. bexsta95@yahoo.com is my address and I would LOVE to chat with you!
Becky
Post a Comment