Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Curiosity Quencher

So, assuming similar financial requirements, and leaving aside any age or gender considerations, if you had to choose only one of the following countries from which to adopt a child into your family (or ours, you pick), which would you choose, and why? Feel free to be candid. Your answer isn't judged on political correctness.

China, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Korea, Peru, Russia, Thailand, or Ukraine

7 comments:

Delia D'Nell said...

China or Korea. I love the Chinese because I lived there...

And Korea because have you seen how cute my nephews are? (they are korean)

Allison said...

Man, it's really hard to choose. Can I give you two? I'm going to anyway :)

Ethiopia, because black babies are waaaaaay cuter than white babies (it's just a fact of life.)

China, because as a result of the population restrictions there are a lot of babies that may not have any other chance if adoption is not considered.

Chrystal said...

First I'll say that I love all the beautiful differences of skin, eyes, hair and culture of each of these countries. I think the variety and beauty of all of God's children is marvelous!!

I have in-laws and cousins adopted from China, Korea and Russia. I also have a couple of families with children adopted from Africa and Romania. I think they are all beautiful, and their lives are happier for the new blessings their lives have been afforded in coming to the US and our lives are richer for having them in our lives.

In public settings, there is the automatic understanding that those from China and Korea, and Africa etc. were adopted because of their race differences from their adoptive family. Those children from Russia seem to blend in without as much notice. This isn't a good or a bad thing, it is just something to be prepared for. Are you prepared to handle the noticing looks that come from living in a less diverse area here in Utah? It certainly gives everyone the opportunity to be more accepting and open-armed - and who can resist coming up to an adorable dark eyed and dark haired child? You automatically want to ask - where did this little beauty come from? But it will happen...a lot.

One thing I do feel is that it is helpful for children to have a sibling of the same race in their adoptive families to help them feel a belonging. It seems to ground them in their family as they get older - they come to feel comfortable not only with their parents but with their family unit since they have that sibling/(s) to connect with in their shared differences.

I'm sure excited for this new road ahead in your lives. I know God will lead you to the little spirits He has prepared for your home. xxx ooo

Brett - Rachel B said...

Wow JCCB said it all. Great points!

Otherwise I would pick the country whose name i like to say the most. Maybe Gautemala because it sounds like Gaucamole. Mmmm yummy.

If it were me adopting (hey someday maybe it will be) I would like to know the "stats" on the orphanages for each country. You might have to blog about that for everyone. The only thing I know is that there are alot of girls in china that need homes. But I would like to know what issues in other countries are.

April said...

I have a friend from Cambodia, which is right next to Thialand and she has the most beautiful skin! Any would be great though!

BTW this is Rachel's sister! I look at this blog from theirs sometimes and she was just saying how much you hate blog stalkers - so now you know that one of them is me!

Mark & Sharon said...

OK. So here is my biased opinion. I am really prejudiced because when I went over to Peru I just completely fell in love with the people. They are just great, warm friendly and beautiful. A neighbor from Kaysville adopted a boy from Ethiopia. He was Mal's age and I hear he is kind of wild now. But what does that have to do with you? Nothing! The Russians are beautiful too. I don't know, they all are. Whatever you do, I am sure you will be inspired!

Mike said...

I'll answer for Andrew and say that I would pick whatever country Heavenly Father and Jesus wanted me to pick. Juuuuust kidding

THIS is a tough question, and obviously there isn't a 'right' answer - so I'll just throw out a couple thoughts and put up more when I have time.

China has a lot of girls that get neglected because the family wanted a boy.

Guatemala would be very cool - having ties to the region and culture is a definite plus.

Ethiopia would be awesome - he or she would be on my team when we play sports. We'll totally waste you guys.

I sure wish I knew more about the local climate in these areas, and how big the demand is for children from these regions. For some reason I tend to put Russia at the bottom of my needs list - because in my mind they're a developed region (and they have the biggest population of stinking rich people in the world). It would sure be nice to get some enlightenment on what conditions are like. Having said all that, I wouldn't know where to start - which is even further proof that people receive all the help they need when making a decision like this.