Well, here's my pirating of Carrie's idea, which was pirated from Allie, which she either invented or pirated from someone else. To any and all involved in this idea, thanks, because I don't really have anything specific on my mind, but I've got little thoughts worth jotting down...to me.
If you look to your left you'll notice a new widget counting up from the day we were officially approved. Yes, our baby will be a monkey. If you are a birthparent and you don't want want your little one to be called a monkey, then we may not be the right adoptive parents for you and your baby. I have at least two nieces who've turned out just fine being called little monkeys.
Come to think of it, my Grandpa used to claim he had a monkey up in his ceiling. To prove it to us he would lift us up to look through the wooden "porthole" only to find a mirror. Monkeys rule!
Does anyone else ever play the ever dangerous "what-if" game? Yesterday my heart went out to the grandmother who, while looking back to see how her two grandchildren were, drove off the road and into a large body of water. She and the older grandchild survived, but the 5 year old drowned. As I hoped she would be able to live with herself and recognize it as a tragic accident, I felt an increased burden in caring for a child entrusted to me by a birthparent. A birthparent carefully selects a family as part of the adoptive plan for the baby. What if, through some negligent act, I inadvertently caused the death or serious accident to the child we've been praying for all this time? After briefly questioning my sanity in playing this horrible game, I came to the conclusion that I would have to do exactly what I hoped for that grandma; Grieve, but recognize you did your best, and allow yourself to feel the comfort of the atonement.
Hey! This is MY post! I never made any promise that it would be all warm and fuzzy! But for all of you whiners out there, here's a little pick-you-up.
Carrie and I have really enjoyed getting ready for a baby. We've got a dresser full of clothes, and thanks to our loyal group of parenting experts we've been able to acquire virtually all of the little things we'll need just in case we, you know, find out tomorrow that there is a baby for us to pick up. While doing our monthly finances last night we discovered that we'd reached our savings goal so we can, you know, pay for a baby, and we even set up a plan of what to do in case we are blessed with twins. We have a plethora of kids books and games, and we'll have even more when Carrie brings the ones home that she has loaned to the School District for the past 9 years. My purpose in going over this is: One, to make a record (You know me, I'm a journaling FOOL! he...he...), and Two, to tell you all about Carrie's great idea (See next paragraph).
Since we naively think we have everything we need. We've decided we don't need anyone to bring any gifts if we have a baby shower. Carrie came up with the excellent idea that, if someone feels the overwhelming need to bring something to a baby shower, they should bring their favorite kind of diaper or tell us what their favorite is. That way, we can test out the favorites of the experts and discover OUR favorite. Favorite favorite favorite. Aaaaaaand one more time for good measure .... favorite.
Welcome to my highly distractable mind.
Yes, you read correctly that we'd take twins. Yes, we'd even LIKE to have twins. I don't doubt that they can be more than twice as hard as one child (though some individual children can be more than twice as hard as one child too...you know who you are). I'm sure there would be times where we wondered what we got ourselves into. But if opening up your home to one child is good, Two must be better, right? Right?!?!? In addition, wouldn't it be better to have twins first if you were going to have them? No, we're not crazy. You take that back!
This isn't necessarily the right place for it, but if you've read this far, you're clearly just reading for the sake of reading. I'm making my plea to the public to pledge now to work together with us to prevent the extinction of the adverb. No more will we say "Drive home safe", or "My dog is real smart". Join with me in striving to say "Drive home safely" and "My dog is really smart". Now I'm no English major (OBviously) but I just hate to see a good part of speech get forgotten.
Like everyone, I just want my child to have comfy functional diapers, and not get offended by terms of endearment, and have parent's who'll do their best and try to be better each day, and of course, grow up in a world full of adverbs.
It's been a LONG while
4 years ago
5 comments:
I like adverbs too ;)
I love the widget!!
It doesn't surprise me that Carrie doesn't want gifts; she's just so darn unselfish!
As for our favorite diaper. . .We buy whatever BULK brand is being sold at Costco.
Congrats on your savings goal!
Last but not least, I am glad you pulled yourself out of the 'what if' game the way you did; I too wander into those scary paths and need to COME BACK HOME.
Best of the best... hmmm. I know that the best nose apirators or "snot bulbs" are the origional blue, one piece bulbs. Never get one that is more than one piece. It just turns into a toy.
Oh, "Teething tablets" are rad. They mostly just confuse the baby for a couple of moments and sometimes they forget they are in pain.
Some good books are:
"The Happiest Baby on the Block" which i love,
"Secrets of the Baby Whisperer"
These two books sometimes conflict, but it'll help you decide what techiniques your most comfortable with.
Agh! I'm so excited! You need to let me come and visit when the baby(s) arrive. I love the teddy bear paint job on the wall bytheway.
In my opinion, a child has not truly lived until they've been called a monkey by at least two people who love them.
Oh, those aren't bears, they are New Zealand long-haired stubby monkeys. :o)
Thanks again everyone for the tips. Maybe it is the engineer in me that loves to collect everyone's ideas and then figure out what works the best.
It's good to know that my baby has lived according to Alli's standards. ;)
Post a Comment