Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Being Busy is Good...ish

I can't believe March has gone by so quickly! Already 6 weeks [read 5.5 months (pronounced six point five years)] waiting for our little monkey. I think the main reason time has gone by so quickly is that things have been really hectic at work (yes, you're welcome, I'll spare you the details. Instead, I'll make up my own suite of words with 'hectic' as the root). Hecticity seems to flow like hot lava out of a volcano peak; It starts small and eventually engulfs everything. As work became hecticitous, there was less time available for my calling. Carrie of course helped me hectice things together just in time for me to realize that I haven't been doing much at home either. In spite of all of Carrie's dehectifizing efforts (which are worthy of an entire lengthy blog I assure you...she has been WONderful) home is not immune to grips of hectinacity. I miss being organized, feeling productive and helpful, but most of all I miss time with Carrie. Especially now. I feel like she unfairly gets the dregs of my time.

That is the part I'm not too keen on about all the hecticitude. There are, however, a few things for which I am very thankful. I'll just "focus" on one right now though.

Diverted Focus. Allow me to explain. A comedian jokes about how when men focus on something they are actually completely oblivious to anything else. I'd give you an example, but if you know a man, you likely had two or three pop into your head just now. When I get into what I call 'project mode' I can't eat, sleep, or anything without thinking about the next stage of the project and how I plan to carry it out. It dominates my dreams and just over 99% of my bandwidth. Now imagine that level of focus on, say, adoption. There is virtually nothing I can do right now. There is no deadline. No status updates. No contact with birthmothers and no reason to contact LDSFS.

This month, I am especially grateful for something else to focus on.

Have you ever had a date just pop into your head? You don't know if was put there by the Spirit or just random thought, but it is just...there? Well I never had, not like this anyway. That date, thought of months ago, is almost here. Do Carrie and I both remember it because it is important? Or just because the date creates a mathematical pattern? Or is it simply that we like thinking that date will mean something? Regardless, there is nothing I can do about it, so I am very happy that I haven't been focusing on it, playing that 'what if' game, effectively flushing time and thought down the toilet.

Though, I will admit, it has been a lot of fun pretending something WILL happen on that date. It makes it even easier to take a hectinfused day off of work and go spend it painting an Opera set with Carrie and her first graders. It has been fun planning what we'll do to "console" ourselves if nothing happens. And you know, between the hecticosity of everything around me, and wondering if we are in the final days of DINKitude, it has made my time with Carrie seem extra precious, and for that I'm grateful (no -ish, ands, or buts!)

I guess sometimes the last really do get to be first :o)

1 comment:

Allison said...

I hope the date, whatever it is, brings you, if nothing else, peace. But a baby would be nice, too :)