Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Writing....and writing.............and writing

Zack and I are nearly finished filling out our questionnaires. You wouldn't think so, but answering 45 essay questions about yourself and your family is a little time consuming. We spent all Sunday afternoon answering questions and we spent most of tonight answering questions. (My answers are currently 17 pages long. Zack's are 9. Huh. And I thought HE was the wordy one.)

The hardest part is not quite knowing what is expected of us in how we should answer each question. I've ended up treating them kind of like mini-blogs in that I'm being a little creative in my answers. I'm also taking liberties and writing waaaay more than just your standard answer to most questions. (Hence the 17 pages and counting.)

For example, one question is "Provide a physical description of your house."
My description begins with this statement:
"Our house is a rambler. The people who live in the house are also ramblers when it comes to talking about the house." Then I procede to write a 2 1/2 page "description" of the house we love. Excessive? Maybe. But I don't go so far as to describe the crack that runs along the entryway ceiling. I'm not THAT excessive.

I'm almost finished with all the questions. I just have the following questions to tweak:
"Describe your parenting experience." (How do you parent when you're not currently a parent?)

"Describe your methods to teach and discipline children." (I guess I should leave out the duct tape....right?)

And "Relate any special experiences or memories." (I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Family, any thoughts?)

3 comments:

Zack said...

Here's a sampling of some of the 45 essay questions:
-Share any traumatic events that have impacted your life
-Describe your parents including education, occupation, personality, interests, etc.
-Describe your hopes, goals, and aspirations
-What are the strengths and challenges of your marriage?
Maybe we should just send this questionnaire to all of you. Even if you aren't adopting, it is a pretty good snapshot for Family History purposes.

Allison said...

Carrie, I would love to be a fly on the wall while the adoption review people read your answers to the questionnaire. You have a way with words that is unparalleled. I can just imagine fits of hysterical laughter as they read your special experiences and/or memories.

Zack said...

I should clarify, there's not a CHANCE of us sending our answers to the questionnaire to anyone but the adoption agency. WAY too much information :o) and we wouldn't want let ALL of our skeletons out of the closet at once...
I agree with you Allie, I haven't read any of Carrie's answers yet (we're doing them independently) but I look forward to it!