Friday, November 14, 2008

Big Kids

I ran into my bishop last night (actually I just walked near him) and we talked a bit about adoption. He had just finished the recommendation form he had to fill out and he said that he was very positive and even suggested multiples for us! He asked how the process is going and I asked him if he'd ever seen cold molasses flowing down a tree trunk.

While I know everything will work out how it should, the logical side says, "Hey! We're missing out on potential prospects because you're making this process so slow!" That's right, MAKING. The actual requirements could be done in a couple weeks by a highly motivated couple, at least, all the requirements that have been brought to my attention so far. The hard thing is scheduling interviews in a few hour window on either Monday or Wednesday. So if you call on a Wednesday, they are likely filled up for that day, the following Monday AND the following Wednesday. So that leaves you with an appointment 12 days away. The other hard part is taking the classes that are offered quarterly...except when they get cancelled.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against any of the requirements. I am glad that they do such an extensive check (even if it would make ANYone feel like they are the worst/greatest couple ever, kind of like feeling hot and cold water simultaneously in a poorly designed faucet) because an adopted child should be placed with a family capable of giving him/her all s/he deserves. Also, I think it is a good thing to learn patience. Just last night I had a chat with one of my scouts that went something like this:

Him - "Will you buy me some ice cream, I'll pay you back!"
Me - "No."
Him - "Whyyyyyy?!?!?"
Me - "I'm supposed to help teach you fiscal responsibility, which means that sometimes you have to have delayed gratification."
Him - "Oh, I understand. Thanks for caring about me enough to make the hard decisions. You're the best Scoutmaster a kid could have!"

Sorry, I may have taken some liberties with that last line. I know that is what he meant, but it actually SOUNded more like this:

Him - "What? Come on!"
Me - "Sorry. I don't want to teach you to go into debt."
Him - "But I'll pay you back!"
Me - "That's what debt is"

SO he proceeded to go get a free cookie. Yeah, Dick's Market gives them away to kids (good for me to know....)

Anyway, the moral of the blog is that working with kids helps me see how we learn the same lessons our whole life, just on a different scale.

Me - "Will you give me a baby, I'll take care of it!!"
God - "No."
Me - "Whyyyyyy?!?!?"
God - "I'm trying to help teach you to be a good person, which means that sometimes you have to have delayed gratification."
Me - "What? Come on!"
God - "Sorry. But you need to have more patience."
Me - "But we're ready NOW!"
God - "That's what patience is"

I mean...

Me - "Oh, I understand. Thanks for caring about me enough to make the hard decisions. You're the best Heavenly Father a kid could have!"

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Lol. Those boys are lucky to have someone teach them fiscal responsibility now. That way OUR kids won't have to deal with their mistakes. Just the mistakes of the generations before us...

Patience is overrated. I'm good at patience. Except when I want something really really bad and can't have it yet.

Allison said...

I loved this, Zack. You guys should publish this blog once you have that baby(ies?)!

Brett - Rachel B said...

haha "the best Heavenly Father a kid could have." That's going in the quote bank.
yah, you should definately make a book of these bloggings for Carrie or Zack Jr.