Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If all it takes is a phone call....

...then they're going to be very, very sorry they let that little secret slip.

As Zack wrote previously, we turned in our application late Friday night, October 10th. We then waited an ENTIRE week without any word from LDS Family Services. Can you believe it!? An entire week went past! So Zack called them yesterday and very politely (yea for practice working with vendors at work!) told them we'd submitted our application and asked them if they needed anything else from us, had we done everything we were supposed to do, etc. The nice lady on the phone said she'd have someone call us later that day. An hour later our caseworker called. Yea! We have a caseworker! And we have an appointment next Monday to see her! And we're signed up to take some non-descriptive adoption classes on November 7th and 8th!

We can relax a little knowing that the ball is rolling. Rolling on, what feels like, tar yet rolling all the same. And yes, I realize it's only been two weeks, but we've been waiting four years for this answer to our prayers. And when for four years your answer has been "Be patient", you're a little bit excited when the answer turns to something you can actually ACT on. So, act we will.


Since we can't do much until we've actually talked to someone, we're doing everything we can to stay active in this process until then. We went up to the cabin this weekend for a much anticipated weekend of games and more games. While we were there we wanted to take advantage of the beautiful scenery and maybe get a portrait-style picture for our adoption portfolio (that's what I'm calling it now, instead of "the big giant list of things we need to do").

We ran into two near-disasters that almost made the picture-taking a failure. First, when I went to use my hairdryer (the one I keep at the cabin) I found out it was broken. I can make my hair look decent (definition: not like a homeless person) without a hairdryer, but when I'm taking pictures that someone will potentially look at to decide if I'm the right mother for her child, "not like a homeless person" is not the term I want to have cross her mind. Luckily, my mom also keeps a hairdryer at the cabin and hers worked! Crisis averted! The second potential disaster was when I realized I'd left the camera tripod at home. Erg. We solved that problem by bringing along two logs with which we made a crude, but effective, stand to set our camera on.

We took a lot of pictures with a lot of different nature backgrounds. But in the end, the best picture we got was the one of us standing in front of the cabin. I'd post it, but Zack has the computer with that picture on it and he's currently not here. We really like this picture, but we also know that our caseworker (Yea! We have a caseworker!) has to approve it before we mass-produce it. (And yes, we will be giving out signed copies of it to all who are interested. It is THAT good-looking.)

Picture crisis averted! Picture* posted by Zack 'the day saver'.

*Photograph: Taken by Team Pinewood Logs Photography

5 comments:

Delia D'Nell said...

where do I sign up for a copy of the "Most Amazing Picture EVER"?

Christy said...

I just crossed Kim (McLeod)'s adoption site. They've adopted 2 little boys and are submitting their papers again for a 3rd baby. You should definitely check it out, they could probably answer any questions you might have. Good Luck!
http://jonandkimsadoptionblog.blogspot.com/

Carrie said...

Hurray, hurray! Zackie saved the day!

Angiegirl said...

That's a great picture you guys. You don't look remotely like homeless people...

Allison said...

I definitely need the number of Team Pinewood Logs Photography! They did an awesome job! Definitely several steps (like a whole flight, at least) above "not like homeless people".