Friday, October 10, 2008

And They're Off!

Monday morning at 8:05am we called LDS Family Services. We thought we'd be setting up an appointment, but instead they took our general information and sent us a packet with an application, which arrived on Tuesday. This was just a simple application; One page. Well, there was a second page with the heading "please have your OCD husband give us direction to your house and draw a map". I happily obliged (and YES, I did include a legend and reminded the user of the map that it was definitely NOT to scale...I'm not THAT OCD).
The most difficult part of the application (besides figuring out if the caseworker should take main street, or 5th west or use I-15) turned out to be finding 4 references, of which only 1 could be a family member.

ONE?!?!?!?! HUUUHH?!?!?!?!?

Does it count when your friends just so happen to be family members?

So last night we finally settled on references out the many of you who could have easily been blackmailed into saying nice things. Once that was out of the way, we took our completed application to LDS Family Services (Yea!), who just so happens to be open until 10:00pm on all weeknights except Monday. It's almost like they are catering to couples who both work. Strange coincidence, but lucky for us!

The next steps as we understand them are to wait to hear from the caseworker who'll be assigned to us. If we're deemed worthy, he or she will come to our home to do interrogations and help us through the rest of the process.

Here we go!

6 comments:

Delia D'Nell said...

I am so excited for you both! Congratulations on this big leap I will definitely be keeping you guys in my prayers that everything goes wonderfully! I can't wait to read about the process.

Carrie said...

Who knew that one of the most nerve-wracking parts so far would be filling out the one page application? Asking people to be a reference for you on your overall personality and ability to be a parent is a little scary. "Um, yeah, could you vouch for my all-around goodness and ability to be a mother?"
Don't we all feel a little inadequate in that respect?

JeepCruzer said...

I would disavow our familial relationship in order to volunteer the anecdote about the time you actually parented my child for a week - without permanent harm mind you!

Allison said...

I would also pretend not to be related to you if necessary, and share how my oldest child hasn't really seen you in at least 4 years, but still remembers that "Carrie's the fun one."

Shannon Smith said...

This is happy news! Thank you for sharing your journey through this process, we're all here for you!

Crystal said...

That is awesome that you are such good friends with your family. But I want to say that despite the fact that I haven't hung out with you for a long time, I along with I'm sure many other people could vouch for your character. Simply put, you're just a great person.
There is one lucky kid out there who will someday have you as a mom!