'Family' is larger than genetics. There is no question that these two have become part of the family. They are clearly not biological family (even though they have big ears!), but you know what? I love them as if they were. I don't think I would have understood this principle as well without our puppies.
They belong in this home. They are a part of our family. Family is a circle of loved ones who you care about, who love and care about you...no matter what. When my cousin, who lives several thousand miles away and who I rarely get to talk to, called because she was having a hard time with her parents going through a divorce, I dropped everything I was doing to talk to her. I wished I could take away her pain. I loved her and wanted the best for her. Because she is family. Would I do less for one of Carrie's cousins? Not a chance, they're FAMILY. Not because we have a family tree trunk in common, but because circumstances have brought our lives together, and they are without a doubt in my circle of Family.Tonight a read a blog that Carrie found in her searches about an adoption birth mother. I haven't been sure how I felt about an open adoption (one where the birth mother still plays a role in the life of the child). After reading her blog, and understanding her perspective, and seeing the love she has for her baby and the baby's parents, I realized, "why would I want to exclude anyone from loving my kids?". I have a family and a step family and in laws, and I love them all, so why would I want to close off my circle of family when I could welcome more love into it? Silly Zack!
Puppies (and kids) though raised in a similar environment, need individual care.
My mother-in-law has always said this, but having two dogs, I really understand it. Maxwell is a big sloppy bundle of love. More than anything he wants to be petted and praised. He is curious and smart. McKay is very shy and fearful. 
She is more selective about her circle of trust, but once you get in, she is fiercely loyal and loving. She is incredibly playful, and just about wags her tail right off when you are throwing a ball to her. They have similarities, but they have significant differences, and we have to treat them differently in order to help them learn and grow, or even play. For example, Maxwell loves to wrestle and rough-house. If you try to grab McKay, You're likely to give her a heart attack.
Love can overcome everything. If I get upset with Maxwell because he (insert any number of things), he forgives me immediately and loves me in spite of my shortcomings. He licks my face and reminds me that he wants to do what is right, he just messes up sometimes and needs kind reminders. The first time I got upset with McKay, I didn't think she would ever trust me again. She ran away and just wanted to be with Carrie. She quickly taught me that she loved me, but wanted me to be more loving. If she does something wrong I just have to say, "Mckaaaaay, NO". Lesson learned. I then sit on the floor and say "come here". She comes right over to say she's sorry and indulges me as I explain to her why she shouldn't do that. I love her, so I was able to change myself, and overlook her shortcomings. If you love someone, you can do it. No matter what "it" is.
No comments:
Post a Comment