Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Baby Steps to Adoption

Is it weird to blog about a blog? I'm new to actually WRITING a blog. Not that I care; I'm going to blog about the creation of this blog, regardless. Maybe we'll make it public, maybe it'll just be for us. We'll see.

We will be taking turns writing as we treat this blog like our adoption journal. That's right, adoption. This past conference weekend we were strongly impressed that it is the right time for us to adopt.

If we have a thought, or learn something new, or even simply want to show our naivete, we'll write (at least that is the PLAN :o) ). We have a lot to learn, which is part of the motivation behind the "Baby Steps to Adoption" URL. The other part is, of course, Dr. Leo Marvin's Book.

The blog title is a spin off of the LDS commercial theme "Adoption: It's about...Love" (which we feel like we understand better than ever now). We've felt for a long time that we'd adopt at some point in our lives. We've been actively considering it for 3 years or so, but have never before felt like it was the right thing for us to do at the time. That all changed this past weekend. Wasn't every single talk about adoption? I'm pretty sure they were...

Well, there's a short intro. We'll explain everything better in the coming days. We are so excited to be able to open our lives and our home! It's about TIME!

17 comments:

Doug - The JeepCruzer said...

Congratulations on the big decision. Some child is about to become very lucky.

Youngberg House said...

AWESOME. You guys are going to be amazing parents. I'm so happy for you! I find myself holding back tears of joy at work. I am so good at you guys making my day awesome today!

Mike said...

That. Is. AWEsome! I agree with Danny: I am so good at you guys making my day! I thought it was an exceptionally good conference. Now my CCR (cool conference rating) just shot waaaay up.

I've said it once, and I'll keep saying it - Carrie, you need to write a book. Any book. It could be about dirt and it would still be an 'easy read.' The words, they floweth. And the capitalist in me says "cash in on those flows!" Between teaching and other experiences in life, you have a whole series of books right there. I'm already excited to attend the midnight release party! Can I bring the donuts?

Allison said...

Congratulations on the baby steps! I am so excited for you guys. I second what Doug said - some child is about to become very lucky. What a journey. Thanks for being willing to share it with us all in this blog! I can't wait to see the footage of you two yelling, "I'm adopting, Dr. Marvin! I'm an adopter!"

Carrie said...

Thanks for the good words. You're too kind. We're super excited.

I don't know if I could make a better book about dirt (and worms) than the one Kalli and Megan have. That book is awesome.

Angiegirl said...

Oh, this is such EXCITING news! I can't wait to follow along. I can already see the made-for-tv movie of your story. I bet they could get Zach Braff to play Zack...

Anneke said...

First of all, I love "Dr. Leo Marvin." (I think I watched that movie about 1036 times one year in college.) I've "baby-stepped" lots of times...
Second of all, this all makes me teary. I'll be thinking about and praying for you as your journey begins. :)

Carrie said...

Zack is way cuter than Zach Braff, but I guess when you have someone play you in a movie you always have to take what you get.

Zack said...

The views expressed in the preceding comment are not endorsed by this blog or its management, but are the sole opinion of the writer.
The management would be honored to have Zach Braff (now that we know who he is - "Oh, JDeeeee") play the role of Zack.
I, too, want to thank you all for your kind words. I also want to thank you for your wit :o) We are so lucky to have such a great support group.
Mike, I completely agree with you about Carrie's writing abilities and wisdom. Maybe someday we'll take an entire summer vacation on the banks of Lake Winnipesaukee for Carrie to make our millions.
Lastly, for the record, any of you can bring donuts for any or no reason. "If a guy asks you if he can bring donuts, you say, YES!"

jkhuber said...

Carrie,
I just came across your blog and wanted to say hello. Congrats on your decision to adopt. I have so many friends and family members who have adopted and have had wonderful experiences with it. I wish you the best. Oh, we have a blog, too. It is private so I'll send you an invite if you want to check it out. I'll use the email address on your Facebook account.
Take care,
Kristen (Hatch) Huber

Kimberly said...

Congratulations you guys,
We are so happy for you:0) This is the best news ever!!! We love you guys and will be praying for you.

Shelle said...

How WONDERFUL!!! I'm so excited for you both!

Dan and Rachel said...

Awesome!!! I am so Excited for you guys. You will be the best parents every.I can't think of any two people who deserver this more then the two of you!

Heidi said...

So wonderful!! I hope they have a sweet little spirit that can come live with you soon. We will pray for you. I can't wait to see the duct tape outfits!

Brett - Rachel B said...

can I mail you donuts?

Carrie said...

If someone asks if they can mail you donuts, you say YES!

Yo Mama said...

I'm so excited for me!