When we started the process to adopt from Ethiopia we didn't have any children. NONE. Our dossier was sent in September of 2009. We found out about Caleb in early October 2009 and then we brought him home in December 2009. Caleb and our Ethiopian baby can be twins! ...we thought.
Fast forward to August 2010. We need to adopt a baby NOW! was the thought we got. October 2010 Noah enters the world and finds his place in our family. Noah and our Ethiopian baby can be twins! ...we think.
Who knows when we will get a referral for this little one? We thought he was going to be our first child. ...then we thought he was going to be our second child. ...now we're almost positive she'll be our third child.
Did you catch that? I said SHE. We are officially going to wait for a girl! Yea for girls! We called our agency and told them that, even though it says we'd take either gender, we really only want a girl. It just feels right. What also feels right is increasing our age range from 0-18 months to 0-24 months. Not a big deal, but when you feel prompted to do something, you best just go ahead and do it. We are also now open to mild to moderate special needs. That also may or may not be a big deal. But you never know.
We are also in the process of updating our dossier. Turns out that the Ethiopian government has decided that if your paperwork is older than 18 months then it's too old. So you have to redo it. Basically, we've had to re-apply all over again. That means getting reference letters, police reports, bank statements, power of attorney, medical statements, employment letters, etc. ALL over again. And ALL notarized. So we've been busy these past few weeks getting all that stuff done. Turns out it IS easier the second time around. All we have left is updating our homestudy. And, as of this morning, we are almost done with that! Yea!
Where are we in terms of waiting now? Well, if we were okay with getting a boy, then we'd be about #2 on the list. That means we could get a referral in the next month or so. However, since we are now waiting for our little girl, the wait will be longer. And we are totally okay with that. Noah is only 4 months old and I would be lying if I said I'd be okay with adding another child by summer. As it is, hopefully we'll get a referral by summer. Then the REAL wait begins.
So, that's where we are in a nutshell. Happily waiting for a girl! I'm excited! Hopefully, someday I will be able to do cool things like THIS to her hair. :)
I guess I need to start practicing.
3 comments:
Yay for girls! How exciting! It cracks me up how excited you were to have "twins" when you first got Caleb, and now, with two little guys, you're cool with waiting a while. Experience does interesting things to plans, doesn't it? Every time I see a new post on this blog, I panic that you're announcing another surprise baby. Not that that would be a bad thing, of course, but you threw us for a loop with Noah. C'mon, we need time to recover from stuff like that!
Also, that little girl in the link has AMAZING hair! There's a lot you can do with little white girls' hair, but not nearly enough.
How wonderful! You will love it - girls are so fun! (Of course so are boys!) Those hair-do's are sooo cute and cool - wow! Beware - - girls can be so much more dramatic and emotional - - enjoy the 'chill-ness' of your boys while you can. Thanks for the update - we'll be so excited to share this new journey with you guys!
Congrats on your growing family . . . we'll be thinking about you and checking in regularly to see how things are going. I'll try and give you a call when we come to Utah in July. . . it would be so nice to see you. Email if you get a chance (dskous@netzero.net) though I'm sure you have your hands full with your two little men. I know that I do with my little ones. :)
--Kim (Smith) Skousen
Post a Comment