Getting fingerprinted is fun! You first have to ask permission to be fingerprinted. (We had to ask permission from USCIS. If you want to know who or what that is, google it because I'm not even really sure who they are or what the letters stand for. I just know they are the ones who grant us permission to bring an international orphan home.) Then you wait for them to send you a piece of paper telling you what time you get to be fingerprinted. Then you go to the designated place at the designated time and they get all your info and then you sit and wait. While you are waiting you notice that EVERYONE around you is either a) Hispanic or b) from some other foreign country. (And you are reminded that this is an immigration office and you are actually here on behalf of your child. And you think "If I feel uncomfortable here because I don't look like anyone else, just think how my child is going to feel growing up with this feeling ALL THE TIME." And then you make a mental note to read another book on trans-racial adoption and/or possibly move to Clearfield where there is more diversity.)
After you get fingerprinted (It's electronic! Not messy! And won't take a week to get to the USCIS office!) you walk out of there feeling happy that you have checked off yet another item from the continually growing list of things you need to do to get your child home.
BTW, the next item on the list is: Wait. It shows up on the list multiple times!
A side note: The first time we were fingerprinted it was just me and Zack. The second time we were fingerprinted is was me, Zack and Caleb. The third time we were fingerprinted it was me, Zack, Caleb and Noah. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this pattern.
No comments:
Post a Comment