Monday, September 20, 2010

*chirp* *chirp* *chirp* *chirp*

That's the sound of crickets chirping here on this blog. They've settled in for a while. I think there's also a family of muskrats living here. It's so nice and quiet. Nothing going on. No traffic to bother them. If I were a muskrat, I'd live here, too.

How are things in the adoption world right now? So. Stinkin'. Slow. NOTHING is going on over here. That's right. NOTHING. Nothing at all.

Ethiopia has been at almost a standstill for the past 5 or 6 months. Pretty much no infant referrals. The wheels of the great referral wagon have slowly started to move this month. There are more infants in care at the orphanage and our agency, AAI, has started to partner with a few new orphanages. May people are still waiting. We are September people (that means our paperwork was sent in September '09) sooo, maybe we'll hear something by the end of the year.

In other news, we got a call from Florida (That's right, I'm just calling them Florida. They have a name, in fact they're an entire organization, but right now I'm just calling them Florida.) about a month ago asking us if we would possibly be interested in adopting Caleb's older half-sister who is currently 2 years old.

Wait, didn't I just say that nothing was going on?

Okay, I admit this is something. But in actuality, right now it is nothing. There are a few other families Florida is considering placing this little girl with and we won't know anything until near the end of December. She's not technically available for adoption right now, but as soon as they terminate parental rights she will be available. We would be more than happy to have this little girl in our family. The good news is that if she doesn't come to us, we will at least know where she goes and we'll be able to keep in touch with her and her family. The other goods news is that we have the names of the family that adopted Caleb's half-brother so we can start getting to know them, too. Yea for siblings and genetic links!

So, other than that, nothing is going on.
But come Christmastime, we might have a lot going on! (Referrals and toddlers and travel, oh my!)

...oooor we could still have nothing going on.

Such is the life of an adoptive parent.

4 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Thanks for the update. Caleb has a sister? Cool! I'm sure Caleb is enjoying plenty of special "only child time"
PS You are funny. That is all.

Allison said...

Oooh, for a lot of "nothing", there was also a lot of "something" in that post! It's awesome that Caleb has a half-brother and -sister! And even more awesome that, whether or not his sister ends up in your family, he'll still be able to have contact with her and get to know his siblings. And as for the Ethiopia thing...well, I think all adoptive parents deserve to be sainted for their patience!

The Pastoor Family said...

Just checking on ya Carrie.... what was your DTE again....I can't remember? Wonderful news on the possibility of a new daughter....I'll be praying =)

Zack said...

DTE (Dossier to Ethiopia) was 9/11/09. Has it only been a year? Pre-Caleb days seem like a distant memory.