As most of you know, we are the proud parents of a baby boy we adopted from Florida, named Caleb. He's a great baby with a personality that is already teaching me to be a better person, and he happens to be pretty cute to boot.

So that's probably the biggest news since we last posted.....
...funny how adopting didn't encourage a post on the adoption blog. Frankly I was amazed at how quickly the feeling went from picking him up, to him being family. Hence, all news on Caleb is on Carrie's family blog (follow the link to the left if you are interested).
Today's news is very much about adoption in all its bureaucracy. There's some good news and some bad news.
First the potentially-bad-but-with-some-good-side-effects news. We got word today that the Ethiopian government is leaning towards making adoptive parents present for court hearings. Seems like a pretty rational thing, but it would require Carrie and I to travel to Ethiopia for the court hearing. The courts in Ethiopia seem to be very unpredictable, so the trip would likely take a week or so. The upside is that it would give us a chance to actually see our baby before picking him/her up and we'd be able to visit the country and get to know it better. The downside is that it would take a week or so of vacation time that I've been saving to actually use to pick up the baby and have a couple days at home before having to go back to work. Also, there's the whole business of how expensive a trip for two to Ethiopia is. We've budgeted for one trip, but not a second, so we'll have to figure that one out. This isn't finalized yet, but appears to be the way everything is leaning, and even has an implementation date. I guess we'll do what we need to do!
Second; the good news. Yesterday the judge in Florida signed the order for the termination of parental rights for Caleb. While the whole idea of that sort of order is very sad to me, it also makes me happy to know that in 30 days or so we could finalize Caleb's adoption! Once finalization occurs we are cleared to have him sealed and blessed. Yea!
We are really excited to have him blessed because he'll be blessed with 3 of this cousins! 2 of Carrie's brothers recently had sons and another brother is expecting a son in the next month. How cool is that! If we get a boy from Ethiopia, and he's already born, or is born soon, our family will have an entire basketball team of boys within 9 months of each other!
Oh, and I'm really excited for the end of June to see our above average sized 10 month old black son being blessed with his three 1-3 month old white cousins :o) Should be quite a sight!...oh, and of course, a very special occasion for our blessed family.
4 comments:
Congrats on being very close to finalizing Caleb's adoption. I can just picture his happy blessing and sealing and it leaves my heart glowing!
Sorry about the complications of having to go to Ethiopia two times...I'll be praying everything comes together to help it all happen and work out.
Thanks again for sharing your journey, it blesses others in many ways you'll never know.
I was wondering the other day if you guys were ever going to update this blog!
Hooray for finalizing the adoption! And I suppose when your future Ethiopian child asks you about their home country, visiting there twice will give you more opportunity for gathering information, right?
Let us know the blessing date as soon as you figure it out, because we're planning a trip to Utah that may fall sometime around the end of June/beginning of July, and we'd love to be there (if, of course, you weren't limiting the guests to immediate family!)
I have to admit that being forced to take two trips to Ethiopia isn't really that bad. I'll get to see more of the country and that will be invaluable to helping our baby know his roots. The only hard thing is the money, but that can be worked out.
Allie, you guys are totally invited to the sealing and blessings if you will be around! The blessings will be on June 26th. I'll send an email with more info when I know it. :)
Hi Carrie!
If you send me your email I can send you an invite to OAEG =) The group is filled with really great families and there is so much encouragement, support and info available.....I'm sure you will love being a part of it!
Our email is:
pastoorfam@comcast.net
Talk to you soon =)
Post a Comment