Today at lunch I decided to sit at the a table in the lunchroom and quickly eat instead of eating while I work. Shortly after sitting down a group of people came in to the lunchroom and started chatting while they heated up their lunch. Part of the conversation went like this:
Girl #1: How's your new baby?
Girl #2: She's hard and fun at the same time. Here's a picture!
Boy: She's so cute!
Girl #2: Thanks. Guess what? The other day I saw a baby in the store and I said, "that baby is so cute", and a lady nearby said, "yeah, but not all babies are cute". Can you believe it?
Girl #1: No WAY! What is her problem? Even if babies aren't cute you don't SAY they aren't cute.
Girl #2: Yeah, I don't get what her problem was.
Boy: She probably has a hard time conceiving or something.
All: Ha Ha Ha!!
Zack: (Happy 3-month-anniversary-of-being-approved-for-adoption-and-just-over-5-year-anniversary-of-losing-our-baby-boy to meeeeeeee....next time, I'm just going back to my "desk" to eat my lunch.)
Actually, my mind was filled with much less self-pity, and a 'PINCH' more ire, but by the time I finished my yogurt, I just felt sad wondering how many times I've said something incredibly insensitive without being aware. You just never know who might be listening, or what experiences those around you have had to go through. So I'm going to try to be more uplifting in my speech, and to any of you who I've unknowingly offended, please accept my sincere apology.
To those of you who I've knowingly offended, it means I think you are cool enough to tease...but I'll try to tone that down as well :o)
It's been a LONG while
3 years ago
5 comments:
I often worry I have inadvertantly offended a lot of people. I like how you said that you are going to try to be 'more uplifting' in your speech. I think I'll work on that too.
I conceived relatively easy and I would still say that not all babies are cute. I've seen some ugly babies. I would never say it to the parents face, but I would think it. One time a coworker showed me a picture of her newborn baby. Poor thing had the strangest looking largest nose I had ever seen on a baby. I hope he grew into it. Even if he didn't, he wasn't ugly to his mom. I think my kids are adorable, but sometimes when I look at some of their newborn pictures I think, 'huh, I thought they were sooooo cute at the time, but now that I look at their pictures sometimes newborns just look weird, even my own children.'
Ever notice how baby monkeys are all really cute, though?
To err is human - but man, some errors are just plain LAME-O!! Thanks for your example of following Elder Holland's counsel to 'speak with the tongue of angels.' We can all bridle our tongues a little better, can't we!
I say beauty/cuteness is in the eye of the beholder!
I couldn't find your e-mail on your profile so I'm sending you this link here: http://www.aholyexperience.com/
Read to the end of the post - I love you guys!
No Allison! Not all monkeys are cute! Man I hate monkeys. I signed on to make a comment about rude comments but now I just can't stop thinking about how I hate monkeys! I hate when people dress them up like humans and put them in movies. Ugh. I just hate it. The only monkey relationship that was ever ok in a movie is Return to Me. ANYWAYS.
Yes, all babies are not cute, unless you like their parents, then they are cute for sure. But sometimes their parents are kind of jerks and they can still be cute. Those are lucky kids. But their parents are still jerks.
Post a Comment